Friday 30 November 2012

Don't Judge Me

Forget about mean girls, when you become a parent a new breed of school yard behaviour begins. They are the mean mummies.

Mean Mummies are the ones who judge us mere mortals and make us feel like we are doing a rubbish job. They give the 'look', if you have been on the receiving end of one of these looks, then you will know what I'm talking about.

Yesterday, The Huffington Post Parents held its no judgement day. I'm going to share with you a few thing that may not win me any parenting awards, but help me get through the days. They gave theirs and here are mine:

* Don't judge me because I use the TV as a babysitter when Damien gets up at 5am. I'm in no mood to do arts and crafts.

* Don't judge me because I have to drive my boys to sleep everyday for their naps.

* Don't judge me because my toddler shouts his head off all the way around the supermarket.

* Don't judge me because sometimes I wipe their snotty nose on my sleeve if I forget my wet wipes.

* Don't judge me because I sometimes give them sweets for a few minute peace.

* Don't judge me because sometimes I put them to bed early, because I have just had enough.

* Don't judge me if I use bribes to get then to do what I want.

* Don't judge me if they are wearing odd socks and food covered clothes.

* Don't judge me because my baby will only go to sleep at night whilst being pushed in his buggy.

* Don't judge me because my house is so messy, I would rather admit to being burgled, than not cleaned.

*Don't judge me, if I cook several dinners just so they eat something.

We need to leave this judgemental behaviour at the school gate where it belongs.

None of us are perfect, but please mean mummies stop projecting your own insecurities on to us and leave us to do it our own way.

There is enough guilt already surrounding the way we parent. We don't need you adding to it.

I'd love to know what people shouldn't judge you for.

11 comments:

  1. So true Lisa! Some of those sound very familiar and are incredibly soul destroying but I'm sure many mummies are doing the same even if reluctant to admit it! Thank you for a very candid view on the 'realities of true parenting' I am not ashamed to admit I have been in the same boat and judgements should be kept to yourself as they help nobody and only serve to increase anxieties and misconceptions amongst parents alike!Your two boys look like very happy well adjusted and most importantly much loved boys. Isn't that what being a parent is all about?
    Alicia mummy to two happy cheeky girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a lovely comment. It's amazing being a mummy and we should stick together not be judging each other. Like you said, we all do things but some don't admit it. Your two cheeky girls are lucky to have such an amazing mummy. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! From a mummy of 3 snot nosed boys, that has never carried a pack Of tissues! A mummy that likes it when they go to bed and the house its quiet. And, shock horror....a mummy that sometimes, when it all gets too loud and too naughty, will shout and will say VERY naughty words!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, you are in very good company here. I also confess to the odd swear word too! Xx

      Delete
  4. Good for you! No-one should be judged, you just can't unless you are literally in their shoes. Everyone does what works for them. I often feel horribly guilty if I lose my temper, but no-one can be serene and perfect all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I find I'm much worse when I'm tired. Especially if its been a few bad nights in a row. Xx

      Delete
  5. Don't judge me for eyeing up the bottle of wine on the kitchen side at 10am, don't judge me for going to work every Saturday for a rest, don't judge me for doing the preschool run without brushing my hair (or my teeth!) Hehe, great post Lisa. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely Laura. If you get to 10am before eyeing up the wine, that is fantastic! Sometimes I think, hmm just a quick one. Also not only do I occasionally forget to brush my teeth and hair, I also forget to do the boys. At least we are all miners together. Xxxx

      Delete
  6. When my daughter sometimes won't eat her dinner I trick her into eating it by putting her water cup near her mouth so she opens it then stuff a spoonful of food in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it comes to desserts there is nothing better than Chocolate and Peanut Butter combined in some fashion. I developed this one for all the other Halloween babies out there that have a desire for chocolate and Peanut Butter. This is cake is my present to myself. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see myself in all of these. I'd like to add 'Don't judge me if I appear to be dragging my 3 year old as my other daughter goes to school, it's better than her being run over because she won't hold my hand'.

    mean mummies. tell me about it...

    great blog, breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete